Hot Fudge Cake
Author: Jen Standridge
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1½ cups water
- ⅔ cup (2½ ounces) Dutch-processed cocoa
- ⅓ cup packed (1¾ ounces) brown sugar
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or margerine
- 2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup (3¾ ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly spray 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish with nonstick cooking spray
- Stir instant coffee into water; set aside to dissolve.
- Stir together ⅓ cup cocoa, brown sugar, and ⅓ cup granulated sugar in small bowl,
- breaking up large clumps with fingers; set aside. Melt butter, remaining ⅓ cup cocoa,
- and chocolate in small bowl set over saucepan of barely simmering water; whisk until
- smooth and set aside to cool slightly. Whisk flour and baking powder in small bowl to
- combine; set aside. Whisk remaining ⅔ cup sugar, vanilla, milk, and salt in medium
- bowl until combined; whisk in yolk. Add chocolate mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add flour mixture and whisk until batter is evenly moistened.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread evenly to sides and corners.
- Sprinkle cocoa/sugar mixture evenly over batter (cocoa mixture should cover entire
- surface of batter); pour coffee mixture gently over cocoa mixture. Bake until cake
- is puffed and bubbling and just beginning to pull away from sides of baking dish,
- about 45 minutes. (Do not overbake.) Cool cake in dish on wire rack about 25 minutes
- before serving.
- Individual Hot Fudge Pudding Cakes
- Follow recipe for Hot Fudge Pudding Cake, heating oven to 400 degrees and lightly
- spraying eight 6- to 8-ounce ramekins with nonstick cooking spray; set ramekins on
- baking sheet. Divide batter evenly among ramekins (about ¼ cup per ramekin) and
- level with back of spoon; sprinkle about 2 tablespoons cocoa/sugar mixture over
- batter in each ramekin. Pour 3 tablespoons coffee mixture over cocoa/sugar mixture
- in each ramekin. Bake until puffed and bubbling, about 20 minutes. (Do not overbake.)
- Cool ramekins about 15 minutes before serving (cakes will fall).
- *If you have cold, brewed coffee on hand, it can be used in place of the instant
- coffee and water, but to make sure it isn’t too strong, use 1 cup of cold coffee
- mixed with ½ cup of water. Serve the cake warm with vanilla or coffee ice cream.
- Leftovers can be reheated, covered with plastic wrap, in a microwave oven.